Tyler Richardson on Facebook

Just as good as a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Been a while..

Hello,

It's been a little while since I wrote so let's recap. On Sunday the 22 of January and I was at the Comedy Spot. Lot of nice comedians there, and I always feel really comfortable talking on stage in that room. Don't know why... I went up like 11th and in my opinion did a pretty good set. Now I really haven't been anything but a nice guy to other comedians so excuse me while I vent. Patricia Berhinger went out her way to make a new enemy on Sunday night. Now, to give you some back story here's what happened. She was doing her first hosting of any show and I am not in a position to judge but as that guy I gotta tell you she was horrible. And to those who look down on me for stating my mind about whether or not someone was funny or did a good job; get real. We all do it and on occasions like this I don't care if I'm the corniest man on earth, she still sucked. But being polite I showed no signs of disdain. Everyone that night was swearing a little bit but anyone who's been to the Comedy Spot on Sundays knows that it's rated G or PG. Once a couple flew out of my mouth I apologized but it was funny and the only kid in attendance was her daughter who heckled and made her own time slot. But, don't get me wrong I dig her daughter and she(to the best of my knowledge) wouldn't deserve any slander I might think of. So the night ends and I go home feeling like I made a few people laugh and will be a star someday. But, don't all comics think that. A lot. If you said no you should be honest with yourself. YOU can be funny in the shower so don't tell me I'm wrong for wanting to be successful. But to my dismay I found an e-mail from the man in the silver tie, calmly explaining that I had been fingered as the bluest smurf to ever walk into the joint. He didn't use as much flare as I just did, but you get it right? I was pissed. The only reason why is that when the group is doing wrong you don't pick out one and make them the scape goat. Which is what I see that as. She had no reason, in my opinion, to point me out. And only me. But that's enough of that I guess.
I went to my very first gig last Thursday. It was a very exciting time for me and the first time that my mother has seen me on stage since I was 19. Made sure that I had weed; check. Couple beers; check. And 30 mins. of memorized material for my 15 or 20 min. set. I went right before George P. Gordon III and that's my way of saying that I was the first guy on. Aside from a headliner that walked in and Tim Miller the host of the show. The room was actually pretty packed compared to the normal open mic crowd at Wiseacres. I did my time and had a blast then talked with some comics and watched the rest of the show. I thought the whole showcase went very well especially since most of the people on were young guys that aren't exactly in the cool circle yet.
Still waiting to hear from the DC Comedy Festival about my submission. Everyone on the planet already knows that they're going and normally that would imply that I didn't make it. Don't get me wrong because I'm a realist so I don't think my tape was good enough. But, there are people aren't going that know that already too so I'm very confused. Just waitin'.
I did see my name on the DC Improv showcase list of performers. That was too cool for words. The showcase might be small potatoes to someone else, but for me I have my hopes up for doing a good job. I cannot control how people judge me, but I feel like I control if I think I kill that night. So on February 21 I go and hopefully will be funny enough to come back. That is my goal and if I win then I'll eat that cherry on the pie. But I always get my hopes up, so we'll see about that.
That's a good amount for today, but I'll get with you more often. And remember KEEP SMILING!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I blog during work to keep from sleeping. Unless people from my job are monitoring this, in which case "I love my job; I have a family". My dog Max is the man too. Other than that I think reading this blog gives a pretty good idea of what I'm about. Red Jell-o, need I say more.

My Blog List