Tyler Richardson on Facebook

Just as good as a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Beginning

Well hello. This is Tyler Richardson and I have just started my new blog. I've spent so much time reading other people's blogs that I figured I might as well right one too. No I don't claim to be a comedian extradonaire, but I think that I could find a spot for myself in this business. There's lots of people that want to laugh and maybe they'll let me be the one who starts some of it. A quick history lesson; I was born in ND. So if you ever meet me and wonder why I don't give you some pound, just know that. Or better yet, just shake my hand. You have no idea exactly how many times someone tries to give me dap and then realizes that I'm not black enough.
I started to really put my efforts into standup comedy about 7 months ago, so I am pretty much at scratch. However, I have a showcase at Wiseacres on Jan. 19th and I'm a little excited. Not because I'll be rich if I do well. More so because I'll be doing my first gig that is not an open mic. I thought it would be a lot sooner than now, but I'm cool with pretending to be patient. No one is really that patient they just pretend so others won't bitch when they have to wait. But, the thing I'm looking most forward too is a showcase for amateurs at the DC Improv. That's not until Feb. 21 so I've got a while to prepare. My hopes of doing well in the room are way up. Yet again, not because of tangible reward, but because the Improv is the biggest club around and doing well there would be a nice ego boost for me. Everyone needs a stroke now and again. I should let you know that in December I went to the New York Improv to do a bringer show. I will not say anything against that experience because I think one day it will have made me a better comedian. I'll give you a quick summary. I drive up to New York with huge dillusions of grandeur and got reality checked in about 8 hours. I thought it was important to have 7 people with me so I stood outside in the rain for 4 hours trying to give free tickets( i paid for) to New Yorkers. Turns out it wasn't that important. Thought the room would be packed. It wasn't. I did however take away some criticism that I believed the moment it came from someone else's mouth. For that I can't say that the trip was a waste. But, after doing it once, I too can say that I won't ever waste that money or time for a bringer show again. I sucked dick to afford that trip. (Okay I didn't) But I am cheap. Horribly cheap.
I plan on doing this regularly so stay tuned and if you enjoy it let me know. I'd love to hear from anyone who took the time to read about my life. For those that do read this I am working on putting my stuff online so stayed tuned as I get better at this self-promotion thing. Here's the link: http://members.cox.net/devohaven/TylerRich.wmv

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I blog during work to keep from sleeping. Unless people from my job are monitoring this, in which case "I love my job; I have a family". My dog Max is the man too. Other than that I think reading this blog gives a pretty good idea of what I'm about. Red Jell-o, need I say more.

My Blog List