Tyler Richardson on Facebook

Just as good as a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Life changes in an instant

Yesterday while I was on my way to work, or maybe in a meeting, my grandfather passed away. I don't want any sympathy but as hard as the last 24 hours have been, for the first time I truly cherish all the memories I have of him. I guess everything follows the "you don't know what you've got" rule. My grandparents are nothing like my mother, is pretty "up tight" in her old age. I'm not sure if I act more like them or if she just stopped being herself a long time ago. But, I have been fortunate enough to be able to sit down and joke with them as though we were best friends, and look back on childhood memories too. As sad as I am, I do understand that a lot of people don't get to say the same thing. I can't picture my grandfather as anything but sitting back in a chair, with a Miller Lite, laughing at some story. We could be at Kings Dominion and I still see him in that chair. He was 69 and still had all of his hair, something I hope is hereditary. And he had blue eyes, not contacts either, sometimes the stare could hypnotize you. Here are a few of the memories I felt like sharing cause they make me smile:

- I spent the summer with my grandpa back in 92', we traveled around the country in an 18 wheeler. The first time we stopped to get food at some restaurant stay with me to this day. We start to eat and there I am, a little 9 year old kid, and I have a mouth full of food just yapping away. Try and picture a bum that can't stop thanking you while he continues to shovel food in his face. Then comes the slap, (insert loud slap here), "Boy, chew with yo damn mouth closed". Since then, honestly, I always chew with it closed. You gotta learn manners from somewhere, that's just where I got that piece of advice. He used to laugh so hard every time I'd remind him of that story cause he didn't remember it. But, he never denied it, he'd say "That sounds about right though".

- Here is a quote that I'll always have "What do I care if a woman is attractive or not? Does she got money? Cause if I ain't got $#!t and you ain't got $#!t, what we gonna do together? What we both need to be broke fo'? She can be ugly as hell, long as she got money." And, believe me, he meant every word. He truly was a dog catcher.

- My Grandpa had an enema, I think, and I can't remember the story word for word. I do remember my Grandma saying that when she came in the room, he was turning his head while on his stomach and tears were just streaming down his face. He laughed his head off while she told that story.

- My Grandpa got stabbed. That's it, but that's one more memory of getting stabbed than I want.

- He gave me my first sip of beer when I was 5. I was so disgusted, yet, 20 years later that same beer is all I drink. The man could tell the future, or just got me off to a really bad start.

I've got a lot of weird memories of him which is probably why it seems so weird that I won't get anymore. I never lost any family member that actually mattered to me. Due to the fact that acknowledge about 1/12 of my actual family. I've never seen those close to me all so hurt at the same time. The only thing that sucks about all this is traveling back to Michigan. I hate it up there, and if this wasn't a once in a lifetime thing, I'd pass. Much like I do with our family reunions up there. Did I mention his funeral is on my birthday... but, at least I'll never really stop thinking about him.

Well, this is about as close as I've come to talking about it so I think we've had a nice little chat. I promise the next blog I will be completely non sensible and just like the others.

Eddie Belk, figured if you just read a little about him. You might as well know his name.

Bye

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I blog during work to keep from sleeping. Unless people from my job are monitoring this, in which case "I love my job; I have a family". My dog Max is the man too. Other than that I think reading this blog gives a pretty good idea of what I'm about. Red Jell-o, need I say more.

My Blog List

Blog Archive