Tyler Richardson on Facebook

Just as good as a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Sampson's Blog entry....

I was reading Sampson's entry earlier and it gave me reason to write anything today. I think that we've all been through the experiences that he is talking about and though it may not seem like it, we care. I personally like Sampson and he was the one of the first people to acknowledge me as a person when I started this crazy ride. I think that we all get a little down on ourselves when we make a show matter. I'm not preaching cause I didn't place in the DC Improv competition that I went to. I realize that it will be another year before I get the opportunity to go back but now I'm okay with that. I think my problem was that I saw it as my only way "in" and I needed to rock the house in order for anyone to see me as funny. I drew first up and that completely ruined my mode, and my material wasn't really up to the standard I've set for myself now. I'm sure that standard will change a lot since I haven't even been doing this a year. I got easily frustrated at first when I saw people who started around the same time as me getting a lot further ahead than I saw myself in the next year. "I" looked at this whole thing way too competitively. But, now I think that as long as I keep writing and meeting all the comedians in the area, I'll get to the level I want eventually. Cause I'm sure that every new person has heard it, but "the best way to get more work around this area, is to get to know the other comedians in it." Everyone is nice, and more than supportive so that advice is easy to follow. I keep expecting people to be dicks because of their status in this community, and each time they prove me wrong. Example: I read Danny Rouhier's blog everyday. I had not actually met him, but was a little skeptical to say hello, and tell him that I thought his set last night at Dremos(which he said he tanked, but from watching it he was as close to killing as it might get for the crowd that was in attendance), but he was a pleasant normal guy. I'm not saying that we had a conversation, but I would feel welcome to ask a question or start a convo the next time I saw him. Everyone has been cool. Let me applaud a few: RYAN Conner(exactly what his act implies; professional, nice, and more than willing to share his advice) Rory Scovel(before I even met him, he reached out and spoke first, I dig the hell out of that. And if there is any act that I would want to copy it would definitely be his) Tim Miller (that's my dog, and yet another of the first to speak to me) and Jimmy Meritt (Jimmy is just cool and reading his blog was as close to education on comedy for newbies that you can get. Go back to the beginning and start, you'll find a breakdown of almost everything a new comic in this area has ahead of them. His blog has been more helpful to me than a lot of other material I've seen online). Something else I really enjoy in this area about meeting comics in "the x factor". You never know who will be the next star or an actual touring comedian. Even if you personally think they suck, who knows? They could change, they might be funny to someone important, or they might just bust their ass and perfect their craft. I dig the hell out of that, and have a few people in my head that I think "Man it would be cool if one day we were sittin' in some club in Boise, Idaho talkin' about DC and when we were earnin' our dues. Sorry if that implies I would be a professional also, but I do have confidence ya know! I will be so ready the next chance I get to perform on the Improv stage, I think it will be a different experience for me, and knowing some of the comic in attendance might help too. I like the thought of someone out in the crowd rooting for you to do well. You know what I'm talkin' about. So Sampson, I feel exactly where your coming from, with the exception of the testing(you need to read his blog), and we'll laugh at that entry soon I'm sure. Ciao babies and anyone going to Richmond this Sunday should be prepared. Your gonna get some Richardson, little bit more Eicks, and we're bringing it on home with some Meritt just like you like it. Okay so for real this time.....CIAO BABIES!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I blog during work to keep from sleeping. Unless people from my job are monitoring this, in which case "I love my job; I have a family". My dog Max is the man too. Other than that I think reading this blog gives a pretty good idea of what I'm about. Red Jell-o, need I say more.

My Blog List

Blog Archive