Tyler Richardson on Facebook

Just as good as a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Good Grief


For anyone that didn't go to the Arlington cinema n' Drafthouse's new open mic, you're missing out on a good crowd. At least, they were a good crowd last Saturday night anyway. It's a real comfortable spot and they seemed aware that comedy was gonna take place and even changed the position of the chairs so they wouldn't have to half-turn the entire show. I thought the night was a blast and don't recall any comics wiping tears from their eyes cause of bombing... so yeah!


I had traffic court today and that sucked something fierce. I was just about last to be called since my state trooper was the last officer to get chosen. I felt bad for all of the people that went up there for driving on a suspended or something that would lead to jail time depending on how things went. This one kid in particular reminded me of myself on my 21st birthday. I was in court down in Caroline County for driving on a suspended license. I was unaware that it could mean I wasn't driving right home, as was this young Asian gentleman. When the judge asked me whether or not I wanted to wait and come back with an attorney I took a minute to think about it then came back. "Your honor, if I'm going to jail I'm ready now" and with luck, the fact that I'd had it reinstated almost immediately and a joke about how I was finally able to drink today, I got to go home with a small fine. The young man thought about it for a second, then said "I guess I'll do it today" I don't think the judge believed he was confident and asked him to make sure stating "You might not leave here today if things don't go well"... the young man caved. I probably would have done the same, I just got lucky one day and I hope that I'm never staring jail time in the face again.


In Fairfax County's courthouse they make you pay fifty cents every half hour. You have to pay before you leave, so I think I've got the appropriate amount of change. I'm exactly 20 cents short. I walk back to my car and get some change. In the time that it took me to scrummage up some change(I'm not going to an ATM to pay someone $2.00) and come back downstairs, the amount changed. Of course I didn't find that out until I had put all my change into the machine and the line of people behind me had time to figure out "That black guy doesn't have any money".... so back to the car. I get into every conceivable crevasse of that Corolla and come with enough money. I check the time to make sure that I'm not gonna have the ol' switharoo when I get down to the machine. I get there and wouldn't you know, now it want exactly five cents more than I have on me. I go to the man behind the glass and ask him if the ticket is right. He seems to have heard some broke people chatter, cause he says "How much do you have?" 2.45 "Give it to me" Thank your God (he was middle eastern) and then I grabbed my ticket out and head back to work. All in all, it took about 2 hours longer than I expected. Oh, and no matter how hot she is, if she's hitting on you in Court (I don't care if it's traffic).... just walk away.


Looking very forward to Sunday, the two people that get to be on that show get to meet all types of black comedy icons of today. The list of performers for the Lincoln theater the weekend of April 3-5 is incredible: Thursday: Joe Torry, mozan, Rickey Smiley, Jay Phillips, Don "DC" Curry, Lavelle Crawford, Rodney Perry, Bruce Bruce, Joey Wells

Friday: Mike Epps, Dennis Gaxiola, Kym Whitley, Will E. Robo, Ray Lapowski, Rudy Rush, Steve Brown, Gary Owen, Darryl Brunson, Ron G., Big Red Grant, A.G. White, Joe Clair

Saturday: Memphis Red (aka Lester Bibbs), Jamie Teat, B-Phlat, Teddy Carpenter, Raymond Grady, Shang, Joey Medina, Carmen Barton, Angelo, Luenell, Rodman, Deon Cole, Roz G., Berry Boyz

WHOA!!!

Alright, well I have to run to the mechanic so.... Laters

YES, SPY LOUNGE IS STILL ALIVE AND KICKING EVERY MONDAY NIGHT, SHOW THAT FACE OF YOURS!!!


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I blog during work to keep from sleeping. Unless people from my job are monitoring this, in which case "I love my job; I have a family". My dog Max is the man too. Other than that I think reading this blog gives a pretty good idea of what I'm about. Red Jell-o, need I say more.

My Blog List

Blog Archive