Tyler Richardson on Facebook

Just as good as a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Looks can be deceiving

Last night was cool up at the Comedy Factory. I had fun, I won't bother rating how I thought it went but I guess we'll see. Either they call or they won't but I enjoyed myself more than I thought possible. I made a stupid judgement as soon as I got there. I looked around when I first arrived with a few friends, and saw that this was probably the most predominately black audience that I'd have performed in front. To make matters worse, it was in Baltimore where I'd bombed previously in front of my mother, right before Rascals closed it's doors. As for a preference for crowd, I really don't have one, but I have a voice in the back of my head saying "You don't sound black enough, it's gonna be as silent as a church". I turned to my friends immediately and said "Expect nothing", by this point all I wanted to do was get a few chuckles and get the hell out of there. But all that paranoia was completely uncalled for, the crowd was dying to laugh. Could very well be one of the most vocal crowds (definitely not stingy with the laughter) I'd been around in a long time. A lot of comics surprised me, these people weren't playing around, they apparently wanted to be on Martin Lawrence Presents: 1st Amendment stand up, cause almost everyone was killing. Larry Lancaster had my face hurting. I even got to see Howard G perform for the first time. Unfortunately, there wasn't time to meet him and he seemed busy anyway.

Seaton finished his act and said "goodnight" and when he stepped off the stage he went tumbling right in the first row(almost) where Nelson was waiting to catch him. It was one of those falls where people actually paused (it's not often that black people give a pause unless they really think you might be f*cked up) then laughed. He did the respectable thing of course, he didn't even try to play that off. Just got up and kept walking... and got another ovation.


I look like a zombie man who's been up all night painting Dungeons and Dragons figurines. Needless to say that, at least for today, I do not feel like "straight sex".


Sweetest taste in the world is.... Capri Sun(any flavor you want...ah)


Yesterday in McDonald's:

Hobo Joe: Good afternoon everybody

My friends and I: .....(whispers) Is he talkin' to us?

Hobo Joe: (Whistles a catchy toon) Oh, somebody just let some sunglasses here!

Me: Tumbled over with laughter I drink my Sprite and walk out the door

And, that's all there was, but part of me hoped that he put the glasses on right after his comment. I couldn't turn around and look cause not only was he homeless(his name was not Hobo Joe, but it could have been) but I believed that he was also mentally handicapped. And, I'm not about to get bitten for a cheap giggle.


Yesterday was the first time that I've missed a Wrestlemania since 1997. I'm perfectly fine with not seeing it since I don't watch wrestling anymore but it's just a sign of how I've changed over the last couple of years. I hope that it's true that sometimes you need to lose it all (job, girlfriend) in order to truly gain anything (career in comedy). Here's to more positive change!


Laters

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I blog during work to keep from sleeping. Unless people from my job are monitoring this, in which case "I love my job; I have a family". My dog Max is the man too. Other than that I think reading this blog gives a pretty good idea of what I'm about. Red Jell-o, need I say more.

My Blog List

Blog Archive