Tyler Richardson on Facebook

Just as good as a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Terror in Baltimore?!

Well, last night I went to the Rascals showcase. It was quite the experience for me. I can't say that I enjoyed it and let me go into detail as to why. I hope that I haven't forgotten anything cause it was such a "Piece-o-SHIT" that I don't want to mess this story up. As you can see I took it a little personally.
I got there and immediately noticed that I didn't know anyone there. With the exception of Mark Burnette and Jon Mumma who was hosting. I was like "who the fuck are these people and where do they come from. It's almost like there are 300 "comedians" who come out of the woodwork whenever something is going on in Baltimore. There are actual comedians but a lot of these people clearly have done comedy like 3 times in the last 4 years and are still calling themselves comedians. It's not fair to the people that are out there at the open mics honing their skill to drop bombs. So.... back to me and the other 20 generic Def Jam wannabe comics. Don't get me wrong, there were a few that I saw that I like but I'm too bitter to dwell on their skill right now. The audience was mostly black but the problem was that they are the type of audience that has always intimidated me and I always fear what might happen if I got on Comicview cause of these people.
I went up to the stage with confidence since that last couple of weeks I've done alright for myself. Did not matter. The second that I opened my mouth these people didn't like me. They actually heckled me. A lot. I have a tape but I did not put it online cause it wouldn't help anything and it would just piss me off the more that people watched it. Might be the only thing people that actually gets viewed on my site though. My mother was there(not that I wanted her to be, but it was a shitty bringer show) and had to watch these inconsiderate fucks that actually came with comedians berate me. I wanted to ask what comedian brought these hecklers but was too enraged. I give myself 5 stars for professionalism though. I did my time and dealt with them a couple of times, but kept my cool and moved on. Their behavior was so unacceptable that I can't even find the words for it. The crowd wasn't interested in what kind of joke writing I might have brought to them. As even Mumma said, they just like masturbation jokes and the dirtier the better. And, they want slang. They got neither from me, but the thing that kills me it that it was not a competition. If they didn't like me then they could have shut the fuck up but instead they turned the whole night ugly for one young black comic.
So, then they boo and cheered when I said that I was getting off for the icing on the cake. So, of course there's no handshake from Mumma on my way to the seat that I had in the back. One audience member decides to be a rebel(and yes, he was white) and tell me that he loved my jokes and tried to make me feel better. Luckily, he was seated pretty close to my mom so she might have heard that the whole crowd wasn't a victim of the dreaded G.E.D. A comedian that I did not know gave me the typical "good set" but at this point I was in no mood for making nice with anyone. My mother left and checked to make sure that I was okay. That hurt only cause she had to witness that, not cause I bombed. I was so embarrassed for her. I pray that she doesn't have to see me perform again for a long time. So, that was my experience, and I didn't have any weed that whole time. As you can imagine I was extra pissed simply cause I was sober for the whole thing. My mistake though. So now I feel friendless and alone but you know what.... I don't care. Can someone make it in comedy without making a single friend? I really don't know but I imagine that it would be hard. To do that you would have to be undeniably funny and I'm trying hard to work at that. Making forced friends isn't me and to be honest, I'm an asshole. I'm sure I'll feel better when I've performed in Richmond over the next week. Tuesday- Open Mic at the Richmond Funnybone(why not right?), and Nov.5- rippin' the 9:55 club to fuckin' shreds. Laters people...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey-

Making friends in comedy isn't that important. I've met a lot of people in the comedy community that I really respect, and I enjoy their company while at the show, but there's no one I see socially. Nothing against them or me, it's just not how it's flying.
Not hitting the bars with other comedians dosen't really hurt my workload any.
-Jimmy

Aparna said...

hey tyler --

you're super. that particular baltimore audience probably had as much joke sensibility as a wall, and not a brick comedy wall, but rather a plastic cheap knockoff wall that swallows love and sunshine and all the good things in the world and spits out cruelty and bad heckles and kicks puppies. ok i totally rambled but you get the point :)

About Me

My photo
I blog during work to keep from sleeping. Unless people from my job are monitoring this, in which case "I love my job; I have a family". My dog Max is the man too. Other than that I think reading this blog gives a pretty good idea of what I'm about. Red Jell-o, need I say more.

My Blog List

Blog Archive